Dove Air’s mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. We believe that where you live should never dictate whether you live. We are at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies at a national scale in several countries and expanding around the world. Are you interested in building a system that 500 million people will depend on with their lives?
Ready to change the world?
Within delegated authority, the Humanitarian Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- The Chief Humanitarian Officer is responsible for shaping and leading a new vision for humanitarian assistance, that has Dove Air as a leader in bringing a development approach to even the most complex humanitarian crises, always looking to leverage and support local capabilities with an eye to recovery, resilience, and lasting impact.
- You will oversee doubling of the staff dedicated to this effort along with building a network of expertise and staff that can be drawn upon from other departments, county offices, and externally in shaping a world-class humanitarian response capability.
- He/She is responsible for developing the emergency operations strategy focusing on a holistic, resilience approach to humanitarian assistance;
- The CHO also plays a key role in working with other Departments in linking programs and partners to Dove Air’s strategic planning and organizational cohesion.
- Undertakes and provides support to assigned partner bodies and assists Chairs/co-Chairs including in terms of highlighting and fostering synergies and connectivity between the various structures and critical entities/stakeholders; supports Chairs/co-Chairs in monitoring the implementation of decisions, delivering on assigned tasks, and reporting bi-annually; undertakes substantive research as may be required in the preparation of Dove Air meetings.
- Organizes and participates in workgroups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners and coordinates the preparations for Dove Air/Dove Air-related meetings in Switzerland, New York and across Africa; drafts summary records and action points from Dove Air meetings; follows up with Dove Air partner organizations on the implementation of decisions; liaises with key stakeholders on issues that can affect the work of the Dove Air.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on humanitarian developments, disaster relief/management or emergencies and provides the required support
- Organizes and prepares studies on humanitarian, emergency relief, and related issues; organizes follow-up work, including inter-agency technical review meetings to support policy development work and decision-making on important issues.
- Partners with Dove Air member organizations and other key stakeholders to plan and evaluate humanitarian and emergency assistance programs and helps ensure that the latest findings, lessons learned, policy guidelines, etc. are incorporated into these activities, including gender-related considerations.
- Prepares or contributes to the preparation of various written reports, documents, and communications, e.g. draft sections of studies, background papers, policy guidelines, parliamentary documents, briefings, case studies, presentations, correspondence, etc.
- Serves as the primary focal point on specific topics or policy-related issues; keeps abreast of latest developments, etc., ensures appropriate monitoring and reporting mechanisms; provides information and advice on a range of related issues.
- Reviews and provides advice on policy issues related to safeguarding humanitarian principles and ensuring the effective delivery of humanitarian assistance.
- Guides to, and may supervise new/junior staff.
- Strategic Leadership: Create a 5-year Humanitarian Assistance Strategy and roadmap for the organization, which focuses on a holistic, resilient approach to assisting, integrating emergency interventions with longer-term development activities.
- Explore opportunities for Dove Air expansion or engagement in new programmatic sectors related to Humanitarian Assistance, including with new partners.
- Contribute to Dove Air’s strategic planning process and guide the agency in key issues related to engagement in emergency response and Material resources, to ensure layering, sequencing, and integrating with health and livelihood programs.
- Human Resources Management: Develop and oversee a high-quality, well-functioning humanitarian assistance team, ensuring accountability toward unit and agency targets.
- Oversee the hiring and management of unit staff, both at headquarters and regional staff in the field.
- Financial Management: Guide to and oversight of the development of humanitarian assistance and Material Resources program budgets.
- Monitor the implementation of budgets and cash flows.
- Program Management: Develop and regularly update humanitarian assistance and policies and procedures for country offices.
- Oversee the development or updating of tool kits for emergency response and material resource programming including tools for Quality and Accountability, cash programming, rapid need assessments, safety and security in emergencies, office and staff preparedness, staff care, communications.
We value diversity at Dove Air and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Dove Air is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, favorite ice cream flavor, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our sensibilities.