Dove Air’s mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. We believe that where you live should never dictate whether you live. We are at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies at a national scale in several countries and expanding around the world. Are you interested in building a system that 500 million people will depend on with their lives?
Ready to change the world?
About the company
Dove Air operates the world’s first and only national scale drone delivery system, sending urgent medicines like blood transfusions and vaccines to those in need – no matter where they live. We design, manufacture, and operate a fleet of autonomous aircraft delivering just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies around the world, 7 days a week. Working at the intersection of cutting-edge technology, complex healthcare systems, and tightly regulated airspaces, we must have a robust, data-driven culture to fulfill our mission of providing every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies.
About the team
We’re a team of data scientists and software engineers working to democratize Dove Air’s data, ensuring every employee has timely access to relevant, accurate data, closing the gap between our teams and our customers.
Our data sources include
- Hundreds of MBs of time series telemetry generated by every flight
- Ground equipment data streams
- Ordering and Inventory tracking databases
We’re responsible for
- Building scalable, reliable data pipelines to upload and process data from our distribution centers.
- Creating and sharing flexible utilities, tools, and platforms for analysis.
- Using that infrastructure to answer Dove Air’s most difficult (big, interdisciplinary, messy) data science questions while filling analysis gaps between teams.
In addition to the data pipelines that upload, process, and archive data from each distribution center, we’re responsible for several platforms used to access that data. These include:
- A web front-end used to query, view, and download flight and ground equipment logs
- A cloud-hosted python notebook environment built on top of Databricks for exploratory data analysis and batch processing
- Adashboarding platform (aka BI tool) for building and sharing interactive data visualizations, using both Periscope and Snowflake.
About the role
We’re building a world-class, ultra-fast delivery operation that is responsible for delivering truly precious cargo. To achieve this, we must put data in the hands of decision-makers at every level of the company, driving decision-making and enabling accountability. As Dove Air’s Data Platform Lead, you’ll own our data dashboarding platform, working with a wide variety of product, engineering, and operations teams to create rich, interactive visualizations and dashboards, informing decision-making, streamlining operations, and generating reports to our customers.
We believe in the power of being close to the end-user. To better serve operations and our customers on the continent, Dove Air’s data team is expanding from South Africa to DRC, where we’re also building a small team of operations data analysts. This role includes ~1 month/year of international travel to support our team’s global user-base.
- Enable analysts across the company using Dove Air’s data dashboarding platform. This includes everything from providing access and onboarding to sharing tips & tricks for communicating data visually.
- Develop and maintain a roadmap of new features as our user base grows and use cases expand.
- Support the addition of new data sources on the back-end.
Strong candidates will have many of these traits
- Product vision: a customer-centric mindset and the capacity to ruthlessly prioritize the development of new features
- Data engineering: you won’t just be managing a product, but also implementing features, e.g. prototyping a Python-centric ETL of new data sources into the data warehouse to make them available for dashboarding & reporting
- Data science: working familiarity with SQL and the Python data science stack, e.g. NumPy, pandas, matplotlib
- Seeing around corners: balancing scrappy results with building high-quality data and infrastructure
Dove Air offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with the scope and impact of the role. Most of all, we’ll provide you the opportunity to do your best work along with mentorship to build up your skills as both a technical contributor and leader.
We value diversity at Dove Air and welcome applications from those who are traditionally under-represented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Dove Air DOES NOT require you to make payments or do any favors to any individual, recruitment agent, or agencies at any point in our recruitment process. Please DO NOT respond to any such requests or demands. Kindly report such individuals or agencies to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.