Dove Air’s mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. We believe that where you live should never dictate whether you live. We are at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies at a national scale in several countries and expanding around the world. Are you interested in building a system that 500 million people will depend on with their lives?
Ready to change the world?
Do you dream of tackling a perception challenge with a small team, on an application that is in the real world, making a massive, positive impact on people’s health every day? Are you excited to add perception to a production system where each incremental amount of capability you add directly enables a critical service to save more lives? Do you love looking at the whole problem, including how you are going to validate the solution and find a technical architecture that is tractable to implement? When finding a failure mode, are you eager to go deep into the hardware, data, testing, software pipelines–wherever–to understand it?
At Dove Air, there are doctors and millions of patients who rely on us for urgent access to vital medical supplies. Do you want to use perception to enable scaling the delivery of life-saving value to the billions of people on the planet, starting today? Do you want to work on an application where incremental perception improvements can provide real-world value to a live operation now?
As the perception platform engineer, you will be responsible for delivering the computer system that enables a highly maneuverable aircraft to dodge power lines that are not on any map, avoid buildings that aren’t shown on satellite photos, stay clear of other aircraft and safely find the right open area to drop life-saving supplies.
This will entail conceiving and implementing methods for transporting, processing, and storing high-bandwidth data across multiple processors in real-time. Your team will lean on you to demonstrate the best techniques to run advanced machine learning algorithms on resource-constrained embedded hardware. You will study entire data sheets to ensure novel sensors produce a flawless stream of output. You will build hardware in the loop test platforms and testing frameworks to accelerate your team and your progress.
- You’ve deployed real-time safety-critical systems where runtime and post-mortem analysis were equally supported
- You’ve built systems to record, curate, and train on data sets for advanced machine learning models that operate in the real world, leveraging multi-core CPUs and GPU acceleration
- You have internalized best practices from working on a codebase with many collaborators, from continuous integration to code review
- You love digging into all levels of your technology stack, whether it’s the build system, the network stack, or the application layer itself
- You know your way around aligning a LIDAR’s data with your stereo camera–and why that doesn’t always work as expected
- Proficient in C or C++ and Python
- Familiar with running the Linux kernel on resource-constrained systems and with real-time requirements
- Understands what makes code run fast or slow, and how to use multi-core or GPU hardware to make things run fast every time
- Familiarity with the best way to get data in and out of a computer–and keep track of where it went
- Bonus points for experience developing device drivers for microprocessor peripherals or familiarity with Rust
We value diversity at Dove Air and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position, but you are unsure if you meet all the requirements listed above, please apply!