About you And the role
Dove Air’s mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. We believe that where you live should never dictate whether you live. We are at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies at a national scale in several countries and expanding around the world. Are you interested in building a system that 500 million people will depend on with their lives?
As a Security Lieutenant at Dove, you will be responsible for providing leadership, operational support, and oversight of the security management system to enable the safest and most efficient, and effective conduct of the programs and activities of Dove’s humanitarian operations.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Security Officer, the Security Lieutenant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Prepares draft of the security plan for the mission, designated county, or geographic area, including all aspects related to elaboration, development, implementation, and updating of the plan.
- Maintains continuing lines of communication with security focal points and all other agencies involved in peacekeeping and other missions to ensure maximum security coordination.
- Serves as a member of the Dove Air Mozambique Management Team, contributing to the implementation and evaluation of the effectiveness of the security plan.
- Assesses prevailing local security conditions, identifying security trends and advising Dove staff, project personnel, and dependants on potential security problems, such as mines, kidnapping, armed attacks, arrest, and detention.
- Maintains an ongoing evaluation of air, land, and sea evacuation routes and resources for use in emergencies, ensuring the availability of vehicles, aircraft, vessels, fuel supply, and assessable roads.
- Ensures that fire detection devices and fire-fighting equipment are available on the premises. Maintains fire evacuation plan and conducts fire drills and training as necessary.
- Maintains office security by conducting physical security inspections of facilities, issuance of identity cards, if possible background checks, and entry control.
- Provides advice and training to staff and dependants on residential security measures such as window guards, alarm systems, and locks to minimize burglar intrusions.
- Maintains dialog with authorities and international institutions such as the UN, Red Cross/Red Crescent in the event of natural disasters.
- Ensures availability of emergency communications system by making periodic checks to determine if the system is functioning properly; arranges for necessary repairs or adjustments.
- Investigates accidents involving Dove vehicles and prepares reports of findings.
- Investigates security-related incidents involving Dove staff members, project personnel, or eligible dependant.
- Assumes responsibility for guard force management.
- Maintains protection detail for senior officials as necessary.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of Dove and UN Security policies, procedures, and practices. Demonstrated sound judgment in applying security policies, procedures, and practices and in applying technical expertise to resolve a range of protection issues/problems. Ability to lead and motivate officers under command as well as manage and evaluate the performance of officers under command. Demonstrated decision-making capacity. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with a final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Managerial Competencies: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability, and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities, and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
- Military Training: A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in all areas of the security operation within the military or a Security Service. Deployments in conflict zones would be highly regarded.
- Languages: English and Portuguese are the working languages of the Dove Air operations team. Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
Dove Air is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our sensibilities.
We value diversity at Dove Air and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!